Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Community is...

Climbing is a community

We gather at cliff faces and aeries.  
We are held together by our strive to elevate.  
We speak our own language, a mixture of french, german, swiss, english and even numbers.  
We talk about Gri-Gri's, 5.10's, belay's, pursik knots and double bowlines.
We value physical grace, power and endurance.
We look for places to climb, be it indoor or outdoor.  Urban or wild.

But, are a community divided.
There are elitists, free climbers, boulderer's, mountaineers and gym climbers.
Often times to be one is to shun the others, but we are all climbers.

I am my community. 
I to wish to reach for the next ledge.  
The members of my community accept me and push me to be better.  
I challenge them as they do me.
We share a love of adrenaline and a fear of gravity.
We are a community.

No comments:

Post a Comment